Preparing for the
CMA and RMA Exams
The CMA certification, awarded by the American Association of Medical Assistants (AAMA), is considered to be the standard for professionals employed in the medical assisting career field. The credential can give an individual a professional edge and greater prestige. Depending on an individual's own work ethic, professionalism, training and experience, the CMA certification may help to enhance job security.
The National Board of Medical Examiners takes on the responsibility of providing examinations for many physicians, and serves as a test consultant for the CMA exam.
If you have decided to become a certified medical assistant, here are several steps you should take.
- First, find out if you are eligible to take the test.
- Make sure the program you graduated was offered at an accredited school.
- Obtain a Candidate Application and Handbook.
- Apply for the exam and provide all required documents. Submit enrollment fees.
- Complete a practicum in an ambulatory heath care setting.
- Upon receiving notification that your application is approved and processed, schedule your exam.
- Applicants will receive an official notice of having passed or failed the exam. For those that passed, an official certificate is mailed as proof of having achieved the CMA credential.
- Make sure the CMA certification is kept up to date.
Medical assistants can use the credential to apply for any position across the United States.
For medical assistants looking to take the Registered Medical Assistant (RMA) examination, the following requirements will apply.
- The applicant must be of good moral character and at least 18 years of age.
- The RMA exam applicant must have graduated from an accredited school offering a medical assistant program. The school’s accreditation must be in good standing with the Accrediting Bureau of Health Education Schools (ABHES) or the Commission on Accreditation of Allied Health Programs (CAAHEP).
- Complete and mail the RMA application, along with all documents, and the application fee. After the application has been received and accepted, written confirmation is sent from the AMT registrar along with an authorization to test and exam details and schedules.